[Random] / [Donate] / [Music]
The Real Tuesday Weld - Bathtime in Clerkenwell
0 replies

I honestly miss the early Internet.

And while the term "early Internet" means different things to different people, my definition is that time when finding things on the Internet required effort. A time of webrings (ask your parents about them) and multiple search engines. A time when you went to the W3C website every day to see what new exciting HTML technologies that they were developing. CSS? What's that?

The early Internet was weird and wonderful. All that you needed to do in order to impress a prospective employer was say, "I know Microsoft Office, HTML, Javascript & Java (with a little bit of Perl thrown in on the side)." Hey, did I mention my expertise in VBA?

It has been ages since I've listened to "Bathtime in Clerkenwell," a song that is best described as rhythmic babbling. It was odd, it was funny and the music was catchy. The animated music video loosely follows a series of birds as they organize into an army to overthrow... A guy in an apartment in London (I think they call it a "flat" over there)?

I know that today's Internet is "better" than the Internet of yesteryear. It's faster, brighter, better resolution, you can find things easier... I understand all of that.

Yet there was a charm about the early Internet that today's Internet just doesn't have. The Internet itself was a strange and wonderful puzzle, the ultimate ARG. This song reminds me of it (BTW - This is a better resolution version than the one I used to watch).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETyOwymflXc

Tue Apr 02 2024 23:42:18 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
Banner
View All Banners
New reply!
Title:
Content:
Kaomoji:
Captcha:
Submit: